By Abby Wiltz
For Unwind Magazine
Now that the air has gotten colder and winter is upon us, it’s time to think about protecting our hair. The next few months of cold bring along weather conditions that can easily damage hair. Here are a few tips to keep your hair happy and healthy!
- Drink lots of water. Keeping your scalp and hair hydrated is one of the most important ways to protect your hair from the cold and dry winds that come with the winter.
- When you take a shower (or bath), make sure you wash your hair in cooler temperatures. Although it’s tempting to take a nice, hot shower in the cold weather, the hot water becomes more damaging to your scalp and hair.
- Don’t go outside with wet hair. Instead, try to blow-dry it or let it dry before going outside. Wet hair and cold air leads to hair freezing, risking breakage and damage.
- Try to deep condition about once a week. Deep conditioning will help your hair replenish the moisture, therefore keeping the hot air from heaters inside from drying it out.
Now that you know how to keep your hair healthy, what are the best ways to wear it when the snow is falling and the wind is blowing? Here are a couple styles you can try throughout the holiday season.
- Beanie with loose waves. Beanies are a perfect way to keep your head warm while making a fashion statement. Throw a couple loose curls in the ends of your hair, and enjoy this seemingly natural winter look.
- Half-up messy bun. Messy buns are great for spring and summer, but what about when the air is too cold to expose your neck? This half-up, half-down style keeps your neck warm while still giving you the messy, fun look that a full bun does.
- Headband with straight hair. With an abundance of headbands that are being sold during the winter months at your favorite stores, you can make this look your own while keeping your ears warm. Run a straightener through your hair to get the crisp, wintertime look.