By Pearl Mak
For Unwind magazine
Parts of college dorm essentials include bedding, a desk lamp, a small trash can and a mini white board. However, as college students, we are guaranteed to make frugal financial choices by desperately searching online for ideas to save money and at the same time make our dorm rooms reflect our personal style. Instead of going out to purchase extra material for certain items such as a mini whiteboard, why not do an old fashion DIY? A framed writing board is a cheap and creative alternative to the typical whiteboard and is super easy to make!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A picture frame of your choice
- 1 sheet of white printer paper
- Lace (optional)- From an old shirt, headband, etc., or you can go to the craft store to purchase it
1) Open the back of the frame and take out the glass or plastic divider and trace it onto the printer paper and cut.
2) Cut the lace according to the size of the divider OR wrap the lace around the cut printer paper.
3) Put the divider back into its place and carefully, with the lace between the divider and paper, place the pieces into the frame, tucking in any extra lace into the back.
4) Close the frame and enjoy!
The white board marker can be cleanly erased off the divider and provides a smooth surface to write on, proving that the framed board has the same results as a regular white board. Additionally, almost all of these materials may be found around the house, which helps to cut the total cost of college essentials. This quick DIY helps you to keep track of the many things you have to do while doing it in style!